llvm-mingw support update

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Fri Dec 20 08:36:51 CST 2019

Hi all,

Last night Martin pushed an update to llvm-mingw bumping version of LLVM
to a commit that includes a number of fixes for Wine. See [1] for
details. Thank you, Martin! Meantime, Wine got required fixes, so that
it all should mostly work together. If you want to try it, just clone
[2] git and run:

DEFAULT_MSVCRT=msvcrt-os ./build-all.sh /path/to/install

If the installation is on PATH, current Wine should be able to use it
without any additional tweaks. You should be able to configure it just
like configuration on GCC-based mingw works.

DEFAULT_MSVCRT=msvcrt-os part is needed because Wine can't deal with
mingw-w64 defaulting to crt version other than msvcrt.dll. This is not a
problem specific to LLVM, we will hit the same problem on GCC if
mingw-w64 is configured to use other crt (usually ucrt, things like
msvcrt100 is also possible). It is not yet a popular setup, but it will
probably be more popular over time, so it would be great to have it
supported. The ultimate solution for Wine is to always use
-nodefaultlibs for all its binaries. It's already the case for all Wine
builtin DLLs, we just need to do the same for EXEs. I have some
unfinished patches for that, but it's not something appropriate for code
freeze. I'm experimenting with a smaller fix, because it would be great
to have something sooner, but using DEFAULT_MSVCRT=msvcrt-os is required
for now.

One of nice LLVM features is support for PDB files. If you want to make
a build with PDB files, configure Wine like this:

configure CROSSCFLAGS="-g -gcodeview -O2" CROSSLDFLAGS="-Wl,-pdb="
#append your usual args

and then run make like:
make CROSSLDFLAGS="-Wl,-pdb="

The additional make argument is needed because Wine does not yet
propagate CROSSLDFLAGS from configure. Patch [3] should fix it.

Cheers,

Jacek

[1]
https://github.com/mstorsjo/llvm-mingw/commit/056c1f5cd22b1c5ca76af38f2d1f9a954e917751