msvcrt:scanf float conversion behavior

Piotr Caban piotr.caban at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 08:04:10 CST 2019

Hi Erich,

On 12/23/19 3:52 PM, Erich E. Hoover wrote:
> I am trying to resolve places where "long double" is being used to
> compute the value of a floating point number and I am currently
> looking at resolving this issue in the scanf family of functions.  I'm
> not the hugest fan of having duplicated code running around, so I'm
> wondering if anyone knows why scanf float behavior isn't implemented
> using [str|wcs]tod (or possibly the other way around).  So, does
> anyone know why this is the case?  Would a patch be accepted that
> consolidates these instances?
I was working on different strtod implementation (ucrtbase (as well as
glibc) uses sub 0.5 ulp precision algorithm). It's not ready yet. Also
it's not something that can be added during code-freeze.

I was not working on scanf changes. It definitely makes sense to not
duplicate the code.

Thanks,
Piotr