Ubuntu 19.10 will be 64 bit only

Jens Reyer jre.winesim at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 15:47:25 CDT 2019

On 29.06.19 10:31, Sveinar Søpler wrote:
> ----- On Jun 22, 2019, at 1:12 PM, dimesio dimesio at earthlink.net wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 14:34:47 +0430
>> Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Provided the Ubuntu kernels will continue to support 32-bit
>>> executables, and provided there's interest in the Ubuntu community to
>>> continue running Wine, I imagine it should be possible for a bunch of
>>> people in the Ubuntu community to get together and provide 32-bit
>>> builds of the required packages as a PPA or something. Although hardly
>>> ideal, I don't think there's a reason such an approach wouldn't work.
>>
>> I can't use PPAs to satisfy build dependencies on the OBS. Packages have to
>> either be in the Ubuntu  standard, update, or universe repositories, or on the
>> OBS itself. The latter is what we're doing for FAudio. That works fine, other
>> than the whining from Ubuntu users about the tremendous difficulty of copying
>> and pasting the command to add another repository. So if Ubuntu users do decide
>> to go the PPA route, they should also plan on building their own Wine packages.
>>
> Since most Launchpad PPA´s provide the needed orig.tar.xz files, along with .dsc
> and -debian.tar.xz, it is not impossible to re-build those packages on the OBS
> for use as a dependency. It is not there the work lies i guess.

tldr: No, unfortunately I'm quite sure you are wrong here.  But
fortunately that doesn't matter now because Ubuntu changed its plans for
19.10/20.04.

Doing this for the *complete* i386 dependency chain of Wine is lot of
work, even if you manage to automate it for the initial setup and
subsequent permanent updates.  Even though most packages are based on
Debian and thus already work for i386, there will be some packages that
need specific fixes and adjustments.  This is most probably not a job
winehq can do.  But it might work, if you've got a community which has
knowledge about Debian packaging - people discussed doing this in this
discourse thread [1].  The work should be based directly on the Ubuntu
archive then, not some random PPAs.

[1]
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/would-a-community-supported-i386-repo-be-viable/11411

> Dunno if *buntu maintaners plan on creating any wine-release on Launchpad at all,
> but if they do, it is not really impossible to maintain OBS as a kind of "backup"
> of Launchpad to use for -devel and -staging.

Winehq/Rosanne is on OBS only.  Debian/me is only working in the
official archive.  I'm not aware of any other maintainers for Ubuntu
packages, of course that hopefully changes for the time after 20.04.

> Will be interesting to see how this is solved on Launchpad, cos dependencies is
> a hornets nest on top of a anthill, and once main repo´s start dropping deps it´s
> a huge undertaking to unwind.

As I understand the old plans there is no solution on launchpad: i386
would've been gone, and not possible to build on launchpad.

But (and I assume you missed that): Ubuntu has changed its plans and
will do the work for Wine's dependency chain until 20.04.  AIUI all we
have to do is to nag them, if some packages are missing.

Then, for the time after 20.04, they (Ubuntu) announced to contact us
(Wine) to work out a permanent solution.

Greets
jre