Proposal: Build System Change (autotools->mesonbuild)?

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 21:28:29 CDT 2019

On 7/22/19 6:44 PM, Derek Lesho wrote:
> I think it would be very interesting to see how a meson wine build would
> perform and affect the workflow.  One benefit I don't see mentioned is the
> ability to generate compile_commands.json, which allows IDEs to perform
> intelli-sense on the codebase.  Right now I use bear (
> https://github.com/rizsotto/Bear), but this requires you to regenerate the
> compile_commands.json whenever you add a file to wine.
>
> If you can get past the technical hurdles mentioned above and more, I think
> many people would be interested in having it as an option alongside
> autotools.
CMake projects integrate pretty well with IDEs too, letting them figure
out what files are part of which (sub-)project and build target, what
macros are used with the build, and what's defined/declared where, using
the pre-build cache. It also works fine on Windows and generates VS
projects. How well does Meson work compared to CMake, and what are its
benefits/drawbacks compared to other build systems?