Wine and mingw-w64 cooperation

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Mon Jun 3 09:42:03 CDT 2019

On 22/05/2019 21:45, Jacek Caban wrote:

> - mingw-w64 name
>
> There have been talks about rebranding mingw-w64 for a long time
> (longer than I am in joined the project). While it's a good name for a
> branch, an established project that is no longer related to mingw.org
> could have a better branding. Kai mentioned that ironcrate was
> considered as some point, but to my knowledge no action was taken at
> that time. Alexandre offered lately that Wine brand could be used for
> mingw-w64 as well. I personally like the idea. Wine is already well
> recognised brand and brings roughly right associations. So... how
> about WineSDK?

Based on feedback I received (both in this thread and in private
channels), it's clear that it's not what community wants. I think there
was a lot of confusion, mostly based on false assumption that name
change implies other changes. Anyway, keeping mingw-64 name is the
easiest thing to do and that's fine with me.

If anyone wants to follow up on the name, feel free. I think one idea I
received that seems worth mentioning in public is maxgw.

I will follow up in other replies on other threads.

Thanks,

Jacek