[Mingw-w64-public] Wine and mingw-w64 cooperation

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Thu Jun 6 14:06:36 CDT 2019

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019, NightStrike wrote:

> For the build bot I used to run, a full build of gcc and its test suite
> would take several days for the cygwin target and host.
>
> I mention that because in my experience, it's far more important to test
> against the breakages due to compiler changes rather than the comparatively
> small things that change day to day on mingw. Very few people on gcc test
> their changes on w64 (Jonathan Wakely is a recent notable exception), and
> this tends to cause entire languages to break (see Ada for example).

Yes, that's true - I locally run a nightly build of latest version of
clang + latest mingw-w64, and build an assortment of projects (latest
version as well with them. Building only mingw-w64 with a known-good
compiler at least protects against breakage within that repo itself, but
it is indeed important to test it in combination with upcoming compiler
versions as well, otherwise breakage gets noticed way too late. But in
such a setup, there's quite a bit of noise with intermittent breakage
though, at least with clang. (I'm not familiar with upstream gcc
development.)

// Martin