Experimenting with wine-pba

Gabriel Ivăncescu gabrielopcode at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 10:58:57 CDT 2019

On 6/7/19 6:15 PM, Henri Verbeet wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 19:24, Józef Kucia <joseph.kucia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 4:24 PM Gabriel Ivăncescu
>> <gabrielopcode at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm interested in comparing the performance between it and DXVK on some
>>> games I'm testing, especially those where DXVK seems to provide almost
>>> no benefit (or sometimes even worse performance!) over wined3d, which is
>>> a bit odd. I've seen numerous claims that wine-pba provides even greater
>>> performance than DXVK on certain titles, so I'm curious.
>>
>> The PBA patchset is a wined3d patchset. It doesn't have any influence on DXVK.
>>
> If you're interested in doing performance work though, I'd argue it
> would be more interesting to try to close the gap for those cases
> where DXVK is currently faster than wined3d. It's great that DXVK is
> working so well for some people, but it's also ultimately a dead end.

Yeah, in most case DXVK seems to be indeed faster, sometimes it's slower
though (I don't know if it's my setup, or the game), but I see a lot of
people who test both DXVK and wined3d with pba claim that wine-pba is
actually faster than DXVK by a nice margin (10%-20% or more) in many
cases, which is why I want to test it out for myself. :-)

Since DXVK already uses persistent buffers, it's a much fairer
comparison between an OpenGL backend and Vulkan if we also use pba for
wined3d.

> On the subject of PBA, I'm not aware of a more recent rebase, although
> that doesn't necessarily mean there doesn't exist one. Matteo has a
> set of patches using a somewhat similar approach that you may find
> interesting though. Those aren't publicly available, but he may be
> willing to let you have a look if you ask nicely.

That would be great. FWIW I don't mind if they're hacks at all or in
crude condition, since it's just for testing purposes.

Matteo would you please let me try out your patchset?