On helping new developers

Zebediah Figura z.figura12 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 18:58:22 CDT 2019

Hello all,

It's a well-known fact that our wiki sucks and is out of date. I've been
making at least some effort to try to improve that. Not much, but...

In particular I've just done some lengthy expansion to the "debugging
hints" page: https://wiki.winehq.org/Debugging_Hints

As a new Wine developer I remember being frustrated by how difficult it
is to debug things. To a certain degree I still am, sometimes. While
being good at debugging applications in Wine really is a matter of
experience more than anything else, I do think there are some things
that can be taught, at least as a starting point. To that end I've tried
to sort of document my process of debugging, and as many specific tips
as I can think of, at that page.

This mail, then, is a call to help that. There are plenty of people
around who are far more experienced than me, so I'd really appreciate
any further tips that they can add to the page. Similarly, any blatant
misinformation that I've put in there would be best corrected immediately.

ἔρρωσθε,
Zeb