WineHQ AppDB and NoCD-Patches

Tim Schumacher timschumi at gmx.de
Tue Jun 18 09:17:19 CDT 2019

I am writing here because I have a question concerning AppDB reports and
the usage of NoCD-Patches for games.

The background to this is that a game called GT Legends relies on a
fragile copy protection driver called "StarForce", which hasn't worked
properly on everything later than Windows XP (wine doesn't support it
either, but the game is in an unplayable state right now anyways, apart
from the copy protection issue).

Due to this, most of the people that only have the CD version rely
on a NoCD-Patch to remove that protection driver.

Now the question is, if I update an app's page in the DB ([1]), is it ok
if I list something like the following (assuming the game works properly
at some point, excluding the copy protection):

     What works:
       - Installation
       - Starting the game (except if the copy protection is active)
       - ...
       - ...

On another topic, the game can be obtained on two ways, a Steam version
and a version that is available on CD/DVD. Now the CD version is at
game version v1.0.0.0 by default and there is a official patch to v1.1.0.0,
which is the same version number that the Steam version uses.

However, apart from the missing copy protection driver in the
Steam version, it isn't really known if and what changed between
v1.1.0.0 CD and v1.1.0.0 Steam. Would it still be fine to merge
"Steam" and "v1.1.0.0" in the AppDB (which is why I chose the wording
"if the copy protection is active"), which are currently listed
seperately? This would obviously only work if it is OK to mention
that the copy protection mustn't be enabled for the game to start
(i.e. what I suggested in the first part of the E-Mail),
else v1.1.0.0 would have to be listed seperately as "Garbage".

Thanks for taking the time reading through this and thanks in
advance for your input on this.

Tim

[1] https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=3906