WineHQ AppDB and NoCD-Patches

Tim Schumacher timschumi at gmx.de
Tue Jun 18 12:32:26 CDT 2019

On 18.06.19 19:11, Bob Wya wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 15:17, Tim Schumacher <timschumi at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> On another topic, the game can be obtained on two ways, a Steam version
>> and a version that is available on CD/DVD. Now the CD version is at
>> game version v1.0.0.0 by default and there is a official patch to v1.1.0.0,
>> which is the same version number that the Steam version uses.
>>
>> However, apart from the missing copy protection driver in the
>> Steam version, it isn't really known if and what changed between
>> v1.1.0.0 CD and v1.1.0.0 Steam. Would it still be fine to merge
>> "Steam" and "v1.1.0.0" in the AppDB (which is why I chose the wording
>> "if the copy protection is active"), which are currently listed
>> seperately? This would obviously only work if it is OK to mention
>> that the copy protection mustn't be enabled for the game to start
>> (i.e. what I suggested in the first part of the E-Mail),
>> else v1.1.0.0 would have to be listed seperately as "Garbage".
>>
>> Thanks for taking the time reading through this and thanks in
>> advance for your input on this.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> [1] https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=3906
>>

> This makes no sense what-so-ever, and would be inconsistent with the majority
> of games listed on the AppDB.

This is exactly why I asked, since I am fairly new to all of this compared
to most of the people here.

> Games, distributed on different media, should always be kept as
> separate versions.
> Especially since you've highlighted the fact that the Steam version of
> GT Legends
> uses Steam's builtin DRM vs. copy protection present in the CD/DVD version
> 1.1.0.0 release.
>
> The current versioning split for GT Legends looks spot-on to me.

I was previously wondering if I should split it further apart or if I
should merge both versions (since "v1.1.0.0" is kind of ambiguous). Based
on your input, I will probably rename the current "1.1.0.0" version to
"1.1.0.0 CD/DVD".

> The use a NoCD patch, can be mentioned in the "Extra Comments" section
> and the games playability, with the patch,
> The overall rating still has to be based on vanilla Wine/Wine Staging.
> This is, after all, what is going to govern the end-user's experience...

The question was never about modifying wine, but rather about modifying the game
(which needs to be done on Windows as well, since the copy protection is faulty
there too).

> All the best,
> Robert

Thanks again for your input