WineHQ AppDB and NoCD-Patches

Tim Schumacher timschumi at gmx.de
Tue Jun 18 16:09:30 CDT 2019

On 18.06.19 22:54, Rosanne DiMesio wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 21:21:01 +0200
> Tim Schumacher <timschumi at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> The main point is that even on Windows (well, at least on Vista or newer) you'd
>> need a NoCD patch to run the game, else I wouldn't have asked this question in
>> the first place.
>>
> I understand that. The issue for the AppDB is that NoCD patches are illegal in many jurisdictions.
>

>> I wasn't planning to do any of those things. I was just planning to say something like
>> "Game doesn't start if it has the StarForce copy protection", which would imply that the
>> Steam version works (and any other version if they manage to remove the protection _somehow_).
>>
> I'd prefer you not do that. Test reports are submitted for specific versions, so for the Steam version, you shouldn't have to mention StarForce at all. For the CD version, assuming there was never a legal version without copy protection (if there was, it should be a separate version anyway), then your test report should be based on what you actually tested. I guess the question for you is whether you want to publicly admit to having tested something that may be illegal where you live.

As already mentioned in the E-Mail to Robert, I have come to the conclusion
that I should probably keep everything as-is, except for appending "CD/DVD"
to the releases that shipped on CD (to avoid future confusion between Steam v1.1
and the v1.1 from CD). I'm also going to keep their ratings on "Garbage" due to
the copy protection.

Thank you both for your input on this issue.

Tim