Ubuntu 19.10 will be 64 bit only

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 20 09:59:27 CDT 2019

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 18:47:23 +0430
Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think not building packages for Ubuntu 19.10 would be the only
> practical option. It would probably be good to have a small
> explanation on the download page though.

And a sticky on the forum.

> As I understand it, it would still be possible to run 32-bit
> executables on the Ubuntu 19.10 kernel, but we'd have to build and
> ship all our dependencies ourselves. I don't think we want to go there
> just yet.

I definitely don't.

FYI, openSUSE Leap went to 64-bit only releases several versions ago, but still continues to provide all the 32 bit baselibs needed to build and run Wine. I use it myself without any problems.  Unfortunately, based on what the Ubuntu article says, I don't have any confidence that they even understand what Wine needs, let alone plan to provide it.

--
Rosanne DiMesio
dimesio at earthlink.net