Ubuntu 19.10 will be 64 bit only

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 21 07:41:19 CDT 2019

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 18:47:23 +0430
Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think not building packages for Ubuntu 19.10 would be the only
> practical option. It would probably be good to have a small
> explanation on the download page though.

We've now had a forum user ask "Why is it not possible for 64-bit Wine to run 32-bit programs? I know that 32-bit Wine run 16-bit programs, so why not 32-bit on 64-bit? I bet it would be a lot of work, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make Wine use 64-bit system libraries for 32-bit programs if y'all tried to do so."

This has come up before and I expect to get that question a lot from Ubuntu users. I'm not qualified to explain the technical issues, beyond saying Wine does it the same way as Windows (WoW64). I need help framing an answer in terms a typical Ubuntu user can understand that I can put in the FAQ and on the forum.

--
Rosanne DiMesio
dimesio at earthlink.net