Ubuntu 19.10 will be 64 bit only

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 05:04:47 CDT 2019

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 at 13:15, Julius Schwartzenberg
<julius.schwartzenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> There seems to be a trend where applications are distributed with all
> their runtime dependencies bundled, libraries, compatibility layers,
> etc.

Also sometimes referred to as "vendoring". Please don't do that.

Provided the Ubuntu kernels will continue to support 32-bit
executables, and provided there's interest in the Ubuntu community to
continue running Wine, I imagine it should be possible for a bunch of
people in the Ubuntu community to get together and provide 32-bit
builds of the required packages as a PPA or something. Although hardly
ideal, I don't think there's a reason such an approach wouldn't work.
The much easier option of course would be for the affected users to
switch to a distribution that cares about Wine, Debian perhaps being
the most obvious choice.

Henri