Ubuntu 19.10 will be 64 bit only

Bob Wya bob.mt.wya at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 07:44:37 CDT 2019

All the best,
Robert

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 19:55, Andrew Eikum <aeikum at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 09:59:27AM -0500, Rosanne DiMesio wrote:
> > FYI, openSUSE Leap went to 64-bit only releases several versions
> > ago, but still continues to provide all the 32 bit baselibs needed to
> > build and run Wine. I use it myself without any problems.
> > Unfortunately, based on what the Ubuntu article says, I don't have any
> > confidence that they even understand what Wine needs, let alone plan
> > to provide it.
> >

> Yes, I agree. From the FAQ it doesn't seem like they understand Wine's
> needs.

> If they don't, then I have a suggestion for our packages: use the
> Steam runtime. I see a lot of upsides: They've already solved this
> problem; we don't need to re-invent this wheel. Ubuntu is already
> working with them to support the use-case. The project is open-source,
> well-funded, and has a clear motivation to continue being updated and
> functional for the long-term. And people are already building and
> running Wine in the runtime today.

> Andrew

FYI https://twitter.com/Plagman2/status/1142262103106973698

So Valve are officially recommending users don't migrate to Ubuntu
19.04. Since Canonical's solutions seem to all revolve around using
18.04 (in some form) - that's not really viable in the long-term.

Personally I don't really use Debian-based (including Ubuntu)
distributions much at all... But I'll probably install MX-Linux (as
part of my multi-boot setup) to test if that offers a reasonable
alternative for new Linux/Wine users... After all there is probably
going to be a flood of new issues being raised, in the autumn, on the
WineHQ forums...

Robert