Wine staging 4.11 release

Sveinar Søpler cybermax at dexter.no
Sat Jun 22 11:28:05 CDT 2019

----- On Jun 22, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Tim Schumacher timschumi at gmx.de wrote:

> Both Debian [1] and Ubuntu [2] adopted packages for FAudio into
> their repositories for the next release (obviously, the next Debian
> stable release to include those packages won't be released in quite
> a while). Arch and Manjaro, being rolling release distros, support
> FAudio already, and Fedora supports FAudio since version 29 [3].
>
> Is there any actual milestone set, that implies that FAudio
> has been adopted wide enough to rely on it?
>
> Also, if I might ask, how comes that the main Wine project
> doesn't share the same concerns about FAudio that the Wine
> staging project has?

I can only speculate, but i guess since staging has the option of
"patching away" the library, this is the easiest solution to avoid
any troubles with compatibility perhaps?
Wine-devel does not have this switch, since it is a required library,
and without it, there will be absolutely no XAudio2 support (bad for
a lot of games). Its a different story with vkd3d i think, cos using
wine without d3d12 support is not "unusable"... Using wine without
XAudio2 support would probably break too many games. This could have
been solved differently with OpenAL as a fallback incase the library
is not found, but there might be technical issues making this somewhat
hard to implement.

The problem is ofc that it is a library that i guess is not too used
for other things, so things move way too slow when it comes to implementing
said library. Same thing with vkd3d. SOME new distro's will see this,
but debian/ubuntu releases are in no way "experimental" in nature so
unless there is "huge demand", it is probably not prioritized.

Sometime i guess someone decided that providing distro system packages
directly from the WineHQ dl servers could open a huge can'o'worms, and
won't allow it. Ubuntu luckily has "Launchpad" that ppl can provide
said packages without having to build them theirselves, but slightly
more hassle to depend on that ofc :)

Sveinar