Ubuntu 19.10 will be 64 bit only

Olivier F. R. Dierick o.dierick at piezo-forte.be
Sat Jun 22 16:01:38 CDT 2019

Le samedi 22 juin 2019 à 14:34 +0430, Henri Verbeet a écrit :
> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 at 13:15, Julius Schwartzenberg
> <julius.schwartzenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There seems to be a trend where applications are distributed with
> > all
> > their runtime dependencies bundled, libraries, compatibility
> > layers,
> > etc.
> >

> Also sometimes referred to as "vendoring". Please don't do that.
>
> Provided the Ubuntu kernels will continue to support 32-bit
> executables, and provided there's interest in the Ubuntu community to
> continue running Wine, I imagine it should be possible for a bunch of
> people in the Ubuntu community to get together and provide 32-bit
> builds of the required packages as a PPA or something. Although
> hardly
> ideal, I don't think there's a reason such an approach wouldn't work.
> The much easier option of course would be for the affected users to
> switch to a distribution that cares about Wine, Debian perhaps being
> the most obvious choice.
>
> Henri

Hello,

I imagine a guest 32-bit (or 64-bit for WoW64) Debian (or any supported
distro) could be installed in a (s)chroot environment, with all 32-bit
dependencies, and use the graphical display provided by the host to run
Wine.
I guess it would still require 32-bit support on the kernel host
though.
Has anyone tried this with an existing 64-bit limited distro?

Unless there is a straightforward way to add 32-bit built-in emulation
to Wine for everyone at once (it doesn't seem to be), it is obvious to
me that, whatever the solution is, it should be maintained by the
affected distros communities.

Regards.

--
        Olivier F. R. Dierick