Ubuntu 19.10 will be 64 bit only

Tim Schumacher timschumi2 at arcor.de
Sat Jun 22 06:32:19 CDT 2019

On 22.06.19 12:04, Henri Verbeet wrote:
> Provided the Ubuntu kernels will continue to support 32-bit
> executables, and provided there's interest in the Ubuntu community to
> continue running Wine, I imagine it should be possible for a bunch of
> people in the Ubuntu community to get together and provide 32-bit
> builds of the required packages as a PPA or something. Although hardly
> ideal, I don't think there's a reason such an approach wouldn't work.
> The much easier option of course would be for the affected users to
> switch to a distribution that cares about Wine, Debian perhaps being
> the most obvious choice.
>
> Henri

It's probably quite safe to say that the kernel itself will continue
to support 32-bit executables, else Ubuntu's recommended solution of
relying on the older 32-bit libs (or using runtimes) probably wouldn't
work.

Creating some kind of PPA (doesn't have to necessarily be an "official"
PPA on launchpad though, since they require packages to be source-built)
is a good idea, it may be possible as well to just fetch the libs from
Debian and putting them into the PPA.

Another solution aside from a PPA would be to just use the Debian
repositories and pin the packages that are needed from there.
This has been a solution to installing openjdk7 on Ubuntu >16.04,
and it doesn't require maintaining a seperate PPA (relevant
AskUbuntu answer outlining the process: [1]).
However, while reducing the maintaining effort compared to a PPA,
this would only be a better solution, if all the packages can be used
directly from Debian without conflicts or other issues.

[1] https://askubuntu.com/a/803616/702964 ("Option 2: Automatic Installation")

Tim