RFC: reducing wasted disk space from addon files

André Hentschel nerv at dawncrow.de
Wed Mar 6 07:35:01 CST 2019

Hi,

just my two cents on it.

Can't we keep the shared stuff in the home directory? It would be
user-wide instead of system-wide, but already a reduction and we
wouldn't need to mess with access restrictions in /usr. Possible naming:
$HOME/.wine-addons-gecko $HOME/.wine-addons-mono

Another idea would be to outsource this topic to steam or even better
winetricks. Most filesystems in use support hardlinks, a winetricks verb
with wine prefixes as arguments that hardlinks all gecko/mono stuff in
them (if their shaXXX hash match) looks very easy and suitable to me and
steam could use it too. That way the prefix remains transferable.