WineConf 2019: call for volunteers

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 13:54:22 CST 2019

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 7:40 PM <ulrich.czekalla at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> I?d like to volunteer to host WineConf 2019 in Toronto, Canada.
> Toronto is the largest city in Canada and sits on the coast of Lake
> Ontario (14th largest lake in the world). We have plenty of bars and
> yes, lots of good beer. :-) What else do you need?
>
> I?ve looked into venues and the most economical room rates are the
> weekend of Oct 12-13. That?s around $189 CAD + Tax. For about 20% more
> we can hold it in mid or late August.  While the weather in August is
> much nicer, October should still be pleasant. (~10-15 C)
>
> Thanks,
> -Ulrich
>
> On 2019-02-27, 8:18 AM, "wine-devel on behalf of Alexandre Julliard"
> <wine-devel-bounces at winehq.org on behalf of julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
>
>      Folks,
>
>      It's time to start thinking about this year's Wine conference!
>
>      Until now, selecting the next WineConf was a more or less ad-hoc
>      process, but we had some discussions on the wineconf list a while ago,
>      and it was suggested that the Wine Committee should play a more active
>      role in the decision, especially since the chosen location impacts the
>      financial decisions.
>
>      Ideally we'd define a formal set of requirements, and issue a Call for
>      Proposals, but it was felt that this would take too much time and thus
>      would be more appropriate for 2020. So I thought that for this year
> we'd
>      do a simple call for volunteers, and have the Wine Committee work with
>      the volunteers to select the best proposal.
>
>      So, would anybody like to volunteer to host WineConf 2019?
>
>      --
>      Alexandre Julliard
>      julliard at winehq.org

Since I offered at WineConf, I'll repeat here.

I can host in Austin, TX, USA. In fairness, I haven't looked at hotel
prices, but as long as we avoid South by Southwest in the Fall, it's likely
reasonable.

There are direct flights from London, or most major American hubs. Weather
is warmer (15-20C, usually), we have a large variety of beer, good
barbecue, and Tex-Mex.

That said, I know Ulrich has been trying to host for a few years, so I'm
happy to defer to a later year, just wanted to offer another option.

--
-Austin
GPG: 267B CC1F 053F 0749 (expires 2021/02/18)