RFC: reducing wasted disk space from addon files

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 6 15:21:16 CST 2019

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 10:15:17 -0600
Vincent Povirk <vincent at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> The default /usr permissions should be fine. I'm not proposing we
> share anything that Wine needs write access to.

FYI, it's been on my todo list to add wine-mono and wine-gecko packages for WineHQ. I already have ones for Fedora on the OBS, though we're not officially distributing them yet (still need to create Debian/Ubuntu ones). All they do is install the prebuilt .msi files to /usr/share/mono and /usr/share/gecko. So I just want to point out that:

--Simply installing .msi files to those locations is the easiest for me to package, and at least under the present system, has the advantage of working regardless of where Wine and the wineprefixes are installed.
--Our WineHQ packages install Wine to /opt/wine-stable, /opt/wine-devel, and /opt/wine-staging, and all three branches can be installed side by side. Please do not set up a situation that will require separate wine-stable-mono, wine-stable-gecko, wine-devel-mono, wine-devel-gecko, wine-staging-mono, and wine-staging-gecko packages.

And my personal comments as a user:
--I have a separate /wine partition for all of my wineprefixes.
--I still use EXT4 for all my partitions and have no intention of changing.

Rosanne DiMesio
dimesio at earthlink.net