uirbbon

Fabian Maurer dark.shadow4 at web.de
Sun Mar 10 11:11:39 CDT 2019

Hello wine-devel,

I'm progressing with uiribbon (see my last mails), so I've the file format reverse
engineered enough to be able to parse them properly.

The code to parse the files is generated from a kaitai struct description file, so I have
written a C# program to turn that description file into usable C code. IMHO it would make
sense to put that description file into Wine, too, but we'd also need the code generator for
that. In IRC it was suggested that I could use a python script for that, is that okay?
Alternative would be to write all the binary parser/writer from hand, but I'd rather just
generate that from a comparatively simple description format - that's a lot easier IMHO.

We also had a bit of discussion on implementing the "xml to binary blob" compiler, but I'm
still a bit torn on how useful that would be. IMHO time would be better spent on an
implementation. On the other hand, having a compiler would mean we better understand
the format itself, and we don't have to embed binary blobs into our tests. I'm pretty sure I
could pull it off, but it would take quite some time.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
Fabian Maurer