Problem when running WINE for ARM64 on QEMU user mode.

Carlo B. carlo.bramini at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 05:11:02 CDT 2019

Hello,
if I'm not mistaken, this setup is not something new, at least not for
Raspberry PI boards and other similar ARM based devices.
Some experiments have been made by some fans and nowadays it is
possible to run x86 applications for Windows on these small single
board computers, by using QEMU-user emulation and WINE together. There
is also available a precompiled linux distribution patched kernel,
QEMU and WINE binaries, ready to be used:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pi-qemu-wine/

together with some threads on the official forum at the Raspberry PI
community, which followed this development.
In my opinion, if it is possible to run x86 apps on an ARM CPU, it
should be also possible to make the opposite, to run ARM64 apps on a
x86 CPU, by using a similar setup. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of the
changes for making this possible, but I think it could be made.

Sincerely.