RFC: reducing wasted disk space from addon files

Vincent Povirk vincent at codeweavers.com
Fri Mar 15 18:09:04 CDT 2019

The feedback from this thread has been very helpful, but at this point
I've settled on a solution we can implement with only minor changes.
I'm ignoring a few cases for now which could potentially be addressed
via symlinks and/or Wine extracting files outside the prefix in the
future. These cases will fall back to a download and local install of
the msi.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 5:05 PM Hans Leidekker <hans at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> That shouldn't be needed. All they'd need to do is run the installer
> with MONOBASEDIR set to the desired shared directory. The first install
> would create it, the second would increase the reference count. Removal
> of the package or an upgrade would decrement the reference count.

A reference count won't work if a prefix is deleted or copied.
Currently, Wine has no official tools for either task.

Old versions would be left in place until all prefixes that use them
are upgraded, even if the old Wine that needs them no longer exists.
So I don't think a reference count would help much even if it did
work.