wine-gecko/mono packages (Re: RFC: reducing wasted disk space from addon files)

Jens Reyer jre.winesim at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 16:10:35 CDT 2019

On 06.03.19 22:21, Rosanne DiMesio wrote:
> FYI, it's been on my todo list to add wine-mono and wine-gecko packages for WineHQ. I already have ones for Fedora on the OBS, though we're not officially distributing them yet (still need to create Debian/Ubuntu ones). All they do is install the prebuilt .msi files to /usr/share/mono and /usr/share/gecko.
I'd suggest for winehq wine-mono/wine-gecko packages to install to /opt,
not /usr.  Otherwise you'd quickly run into the need for new lists of
"Conflicts:" and similar.

For this to work I think we just need to slightly adjust
dlls/appwiz.cpl/addons.c.  Vincent already referenced in another mail
the comments found there:

    /*
     * Try to find addon .msi file in following order:
     * - directory stored in $dir_config_key value of
HKCU/Software/Wine/$config_key key
     * - $datadir/$addon_subdir/
     * - $INSTALL_DATADIR/wine/$addon_subdir/
     * - /usr/share/wine/$addon_subdir/
     * - download from URL stored in $url_config_key value of
HKCU/Software/Wine/$config_key key
     */

So maybe just add code for /opt/$addon_subdir/ before "download"?