[Mingw-w64-public] Wine and mingw-w64 cooperation

Ruben Van Boxem vanboxem.ruben at gmail.com
Wed May 22 15:17:30 CDT 2019

All this probably is a great idea :). I just have (entirely worthless) 2c
two share on one point you bring up:

Op wo 22 mei 2019 om 21:44 schreef Jacek Caban <jacek at codeweavers.com>:

> - mingw-w64 name
>
> There have been talks about rebranding mingw-w64 for a long time (longer
> than I am in joined the project). While it's a good name for a branch,
> an established project that is no longer related to mingw.org could have
> a better branding. Kai mentioned that ironcrate was considered as some
> point, but to my knowledge no action was taken at that time. Alexandre
> offered lately that Wine brand could be used for mingw-w64 as well. I
> personally like the idea. Wine is already well recognised brand and
> brings roughly right associations. So... how about WineSDK?

The thing is, "mingw" is also a "recognized name". Not only as what it
stands for (minimalistic gnu for windows, although I never understood that
name to describe a windows API implementation...), but also as a toolchain
*target*.

Technically, a lot of things are named to match "mingw" (GCC and Clang
target names, for example). It has even grown out to its own frankenstein
ABI of sorts, next to the MSVC ABI on Windows.

The suggestion to name it WineSDK (very close to WinSDK, clever that ;-) )
seems like a missed oportunity: it would seem to tie the purpose of
"mingw-w64" to Wine, which (for me, and a lot of other people) not the
primary goal of this project.
That goal is providing an "implementation" of the Windows API such that one
can generate code that runs on Windows without proprietary tools. The fact
that there is a lot of code shared with Wine or where it's hosted doesn't
change that, IMHO.

I have no say in any of this (nor do I want to push my opinion), so you can
see this as an interested user's comment. Just try to not confuse people
even more about what this project is supposed to be.

Cheers and keep up the incredible work!

Ruben