Wine and mingw-w64 cooperation [mingw-w64 name]

Sveinar Søpler cybermax at dexter.no
Sat May 25 16:15:29 CDT 2019

As a user, and not a coder with "a name", i might just be contributing to noise by this... Sorry if i am stepping on any toes here tho.

Since mingw-w64 is NOT a "wine project", and can be used for a lot of stuff totally outside of wine, I think it will be completely wrong to rename it to something that indicate that "now this has become a wine project".
That said, i agree that mingw-w64 is somewhat misleading in a way, so I think mingw-ng would be just as fine. If the "cost" of a namechange needs to be "more features - better stuff", the world is sadly filled to the brim with ruined projects that WAS great, but is now become a spam-ridden mess of "pay-to-get-crap", or adding useless features just to get a "fresh feel".

Don't ruin a good thing just for a namechange :)

Sveinar