vkd3d: Thoughts on how to include shaders in the project?

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 12:40:07 CST 2019

On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 21:08, Philip Rebohle
<philip.rebohle at tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Am 04.11.19 um 17:12 schrieb Henri Verbeet:
> > I think the preferred way would be to include them as HLSL source, and
> > use vkd3d-shader to compile them to SPIR-V. The tricky part there is
> > that the HLSL compiler is currently still a work in progress. It's
> > possible to use Microsoft's fxc as a replacement—we've used that for
> > vkmodelviewer in the past—but it seems undesirable to have fxc as a
> > dependency for vkd3d.
>
> Is there any particular reason you're suggesting HLSL? Given that these
> shaders would sort out some of the gritty implementation details and we
> want full control over how exactly resources are accessed, I'd think
> having a more direct path without going through DXBC and especially the
> peculiarities of the D3D12 binding model would be preferable.

I have no particular fondness for HLSL, but it would mean one less
external dependency, and peculiarities aside, HLSL should broadly have
equivalent capabilities to GLSL. That's in the abstract though, I
haven't seen the specifics of the shaders in question, of course.