Install issue with 32-bit Wine on 64-bit Ubuntu

Sveinar Søpler cybermax at dexter.no
Fri Nov 29 09:16:23 CST 2019

Ubuntu "Biarch" is a "Biach" :P

I do not know how this would work as a system install following that
guide (honestly i would NOT recommend that), as installing i386 wine IN
THE lxc container would NOT install 32-bit wine in your live system...
thus running "sudo make install" after going back to your live system
(outside of lxc), the 32-bit installed binaries is not available and
thus it might not work as intended. Afaik building a working biarch wine
in Ubuntu you need to either do as the guide describes - using
--prefix=/home/youruser/install/dir - or using the ubuntu build system
(debuild) or similar.

I just tested doing my usual install with wine-git, and that worked
fine. I run the configure with "--prefix=/home/myname/wine/wine-git" (on
all 3.. wine64, wine32-tools and wine32 just like the guide describe
using lxc container), and just run the "make install" without sudo. A
working wine is then put in the /home/myname/wine/wine-git folder with
both 64/32 bit binaries.

If you have further problems with this, i recommend posting on the
forums https://forum.winehq.org/ rather than posting on the developer
mailing list, as the chances are a lot higher for proper help there :)
Good luck!

Sveinar