Running Wine From Build Directory

Thales thaleslv at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 11 23:20:30 CDT 2019

Hello Gabriel,
That was the issue!  I assumed that it would look at the current directory first.   I'll study the WINEPREFIX you mentioned.
Thanks!
...John Alway    On Friday, October 11, 2019, 11:22:50 AM CDT, Gabriel Ivăncescu <gabrielopcode at gmail.com> wrote:

 On 10/11/19 3:51 PM, Thales wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm in experimental mode right now.  I'm making changes to wine code to
> see what I can do, but when I run Wine I don't see an effect on Wine,
> even though the compiles are successful.   I'm running from the wine
> 64-bit build directory, which I thought would hook into the DLLs, etc.
> in that build tree.  Instead, it appears to be using the installed
> version of Wine on my system  (Ubuntu, 16.04).   According to the
> Codeweavers article I link to below, the build directory is supposed to
> use the newly built code when you run wine or winedbg from it.  How do I
> get it to use my newly built code?
>
> https://www.codeweavers.com/about/blogs/aeikum/2019/1/10/working-on-wine-part-3-using-wine-as-a-developer
>
> Thanks for any feedback on this!
>
> Regards,
> ...John Alway

Hi John,

You are using ./wine to launch it from its directory instead of just
'wine', right? The latter only looks into the PATH env var, not the
current directory (unlike Windows).

You can also type the full path to the built wine to launch it, no need
to change directory to the build dir.

If you have to run a tool from wine (like winecfg) just type
'/path/to/built/wine winecfg'.

Don't forget to set the WINEPREFIX accordingly else it will mess up with
your default prefix!