Request for discussion: Using PE libraries for Wine dependencies

Esme (they/them) vincent at codeweavers.com
Sun Apr 12 20:56:37 CDT 2020

> I guess it's not obvious to me there's a difference between "builtin"
> and "distro" (though we'd presumably not go putting the Wine builtin
> flag in mingw libraries). But yeah, I guess we'd want to vary load order
> depending on whether the library is a dependency of a PE builtin or not,
> in some way.

I was thinking about the possibility of a distro shipping a dll that's
also a Wine builtin. But, we could probably resolve that case by
saying "builtin" searches for wine builtins before distro libraries.

I guess we'd want the load order to be something like:
 * If explicitly set in registry or environment, use that.
 * If Wine builtin, use preattach.
 * If dependency of Wine builtin that exists in distro search path,
builtin,native.
 * If dependency of a dll in distro search path (but not a Wine
builtin), builtin,native.
 * Otherwise, native,builtin or maybe even native only (should Wine
ever use a distro library to resolve dependencies of the
application?).