Request for discussion: Using PE libraries for Wine dependencies

Esme (they/them) vincent at codeweavers.com
Sun Apr 12 21:32:34 CDT 2020

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 9:21 PM Zebediah Figura <z.figura12 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This last one is a good question. Would we necessarily expect an
> application-provided PE library to differ from a distro mingw library?

Yes, because of C runtime library versions. If the ABI includes a file
handle or a malloc'd pointer, it depends on the C runtime it was
compiled with. This is different from a Wine-provided dll because the
Windows dll has a defined ABI.

There's also the possible scenario of: someone compiles a dll using
mingw, it links to system libgcc provided by the distro, they test it
on Wine, and it works even though it wouldn't on Windows.