Request for discussion: Using PE libraries for Wine dependencies

Gabriel Ivăncescu gabrielopcode at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 11:07:49 CDT 2020

On 13/04/2020 18:02, Zebediah Figura wrote:
> On 4/13/20 3:01 AM, Rémi Bernon wrote:
>>
>> Linux distributions already have quite a hard time factoring the
>> dependencies and keeping all the Linux software working together
>> nicely, and I think that doing the same for Windows software that was
>> never written with such a setup in the first place -every application
>> ships its with own dependencies isolated from the others- may be more
>> painful than expected.
>
> I'm not sure I understand: we wouldn't be managing dependencies for
> Windows software any more than we already are; we'd only be managing
> dependencies for Wine itself.l
>

>> Cheers,

FWIW, if this approach is chosen, I think they should first go (or be
read in) somewhere in wine's directory, like other libs (or how Proton
bundles its libs in <wine_dir>/lib{,64} for example) and the system-wide
paths after that if those aren't found (or maybe not at all, because
most distros don't even ship with mingw libraries... and I hate being
reliant on this fact).

This is so you can use specific wine versions with specific libraries if
you wish to do so, instead of a single system-wide choice for all
versions. It also makes them potentially neatly stored in one place.

This is more important since you won't be able to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
LD_PRELOAD either to "hack" the load order for debugging or any other
reason.

Also, you'll be able to use Wine with older distros or otherwise more
obscure ones that don't package them. Just drop it and run from its
directory.