Wine32 requires 32bit libraries? No fix?

Paul Gofman gofmanp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 05:22:17 CST 2020

On 1/16/20 12:16, Stefan Dösinger wrote:

> I'd phrase the political problem differently: Distros outsourcing backward compatibility support to Wine and expecting us to do magic without their support.
>
> See also: Who still runs the Linux ports of games made in the early 2000s, changing sound API like underwear (although PA has been stable lately, maybe that sticks around now), SNI systray.

I am afraid the distros who think of dropping 32 bit libraries are also
ignoring the commercial use of Linux with highly specialized or
proprietary software, or pretty much any software outside of
distributions itself. There is software like that, while the volume it
is not comparable to Windows of course. Porting the software which just
works to newer technologies just for the sake of renewal without getting
any improvement for business looks like a pure waste. Dropping 32 bit
support now or soon will also make the decisions to make new commercial
software for Linux highly questionable. As it is no warranty that they
won't drop something else in the next 10-15 years which will throw the
expenses and time for such development away.