Mono vs. Gecko packaging discrepancies

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Tue Jan 28 08:27:08 CST 2020

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020, Jacek Caban wrote:
[...]
> It looks like the main Wine package uses xz and I'm with switching to that.

Works for me.

[...]
> > * For the directory where to extract the file I prefer '../<addon>/'
> >    because that matches the directory for msi files.Also it makes it
> >    easier to create a symlink to that directory and not have to update it
> >    when a new version is released (my Wine build directories are not all
> >    in the same location).
>
> Yes, I agree that subdir is nicer. Note that you may also just use /opt/wine/
> instead of symlinks.

The Gecko and Mono directories are being updated by a script that runs
in a non-root account. I guess I could make parts of /opt/wine owned by
the account this script runs under for my machines but I'm not very fond
of that. It would also mean that wt-bot [1] requires one to set up
/opt/wine is this special way.

[1] https://github.com/fgouget/wt-daily/blob/master/wt-bot#L631

--
Francois Gouget <fgouget at codeweavers.com>