[RFC] Trying to fix desktop switches

Rafał Mużyło galtgendo at o2.pl
Fri Jul 3 04:13:36 CDT 2020

This is yet another attempt at fixing the way wine handles X11 wm desktop switches.
Currently, wine minimizes the windows on switch away, then restores
them.
That's the wrong thing to do. For example, that unpauses apps that pause
on focus loss.

First part of the problem is quite simple.

Adding a check for NET_WM_STATE_HIDDEN and returning early if it's not
set while the wmstate is iconic deals with that.

The other part is a pain though.
As the windows on other desktops are invisible, they shouldn't be
considered valid input sinks by wine.

The problem is two-fold:
  - can_activate_window is a static function both in winex11.drv and
    user32.dll; what's more one in user32.dll doesn't handle
    WS_EX_NOACTIVATE the way one in winex11.drv does
  - x11drv_win_data is (for obvious reasons) an internal detail of winex11.drv

As such, it's hard to come up with something that would reach user32.dll
and didn't have some nasty side effects.

I'm trying to use WS_EX_NOACTIVATE in this version, but (as already
mentioned) that isn't working with user32.dll *and* has some undesirable
side-effects.

Trying to use either WS_VISIBLE or WS_DISABLED doesn't work at all or at
least I'm not able to use that properly.

So, better ideas welcomed.