winegstreamer: Avoid Fedora and openSUSE?

Paul Gofman pgofman at codeweavers.com
Sun May 24 11:02:39 CDT 2020

On 5/24/20 18:53, Francois Gouget wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2020, Paul Gofman wrote:
> [...]
>> $ rpm -qf /usr/libexec/gstreamer-1.0/gst-plugin-scanner
>>
>> gstreamer1-1.16.2-2.fc32.x86_64
> This is the binary that maps element names like videoconvert to the name
> of the library to load, here
> /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstvideoconvert.so. Since it's a 64-bit
> binary (maybe a file would have been stronger proof), it cannot build
> the 32-bit registry.
>

>> $ rpm -qf /usr/bin/gst-inspect-1.0
>> gstreamer1-1.16.2-2.fc32.x86_64
>>
>> $ gst-inspect-1.0 videoconvert | grep Filename
>>  Filename                 /usr/lib64/gstreamer-1.0/libgstvideoconvert.so
> This is the library that provides the videoconvert plugin and since it's
> a 64-bit library that means 32-bit processes cannot use it,
> winegstreamer included... unless it has some cross-process communication
> mechanism so that all GStreamer code in fact runs in a 64-bit process
> (that seems highly unlikely).

winegstreamer is not using command line gstreamer tools, I guess, only
libraries. Of course I have 32 bit ones installed, just gst-... tools
won't show that since they are 64 bit.

> It looks like Blaz Blue Calamity Trigger has a 64-bit version. Could it
> be that's the one you're actually running?
No, as far as I am aware. I was running 32 bit one. It is a rather old
XP-compatible game. I am unlikely totally mistaken here as I did have a
lot of problems with 32 bit gstreamer (mostly not working in any games I
saw using it), and spent exciting hours trying to build gst with all the
plugins and dependencies myself (sadly, without total success), until 32
bit plugins were fixed.
> If not, does its behavior change if you rename winegstreamer.dll so
> it's not used?

I have deleted the game long ago. I could probably find some game using
winegstreamer and find out what winegstreamer is doing here, but maybe
it is more practical to wait for some comment from someone who has hands
on winegstreamer (*thinks of Zebediah Figura *)