winegstreamer: Avoid Fedora and openSUSE?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed May 27 23:24:29 CDT 2020

On Tue, 26 May 2020, Paul Gofman wrote:

> On 5/26/20 18:11, Francois Gouget wrote:
> > gst-plugin-scanner is installed by gstreamer1.x86_64. So again the only
> > way to not have it while still being able to use GStreamer is to go the
> > full manual route and sudo rm gst-plugin-scanner.
> >
> > (I'm not quite sure I understand 'auto search path' though)
> >
> I've run the program, and it doesn't find plugins right away, it also
> doesn't find them after deleting cache. But after 'mv
> /usr/libexec/gstreamer-1.0/gst-plugin-scanner
> /usr/libexec/gstreamer-1.0/gst-plugin-scanner.bckp' and clearing the
> cache it works fine (with cache or not). It also works fine if you get
> the gst-plugin-scanner back and keep the cache now.

Good. That matches what I get.

> But I sure did not ever removed gst-plugins-scanner previously (could
> clean the caches though maybe). Can it be winegstreamer does something a
> bit different and thus avoids the bad influence of scanner?

Ah! Found it:

static BOOL CALLBACK init_gstreamer_proc(INIT_ONCE *once, void *param, void **ctx)
{
    BOOL *status = param;
    char argv0[] = "wine";
    char argv1[] = "--gst-disable-registry-fork";
[...]
    *status = gst_init_check(&argc, &argv, &err);

So it's --gst-disable-registry-fork that does the trick and it does
indeed saves Wine from this bug.

                                Arthur C. Clarke