PE Conversion

Derek Lesho dlesho at codeweavers.com
Fri Aug 20 08:24:58 CDT 2021

On 8/20/21 2:52 AM, Giovanni Mascellani wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Il 19/08/21 17:08, Erich E. Hoover ha scritto:
>> 1) 32-bit system libraries are being deprecated by the distros (and
>> Apple has already discontinued 32-bit support), so converting built-in
>> libraries to PE means that Wine will interface solely with the 64-bit
>> system libraries.
>
> My understanding is that this is not just 32 on 64, but can be useful
> in general to run any architecture inside any other, with the help of
> an emulator. Given that ARM already has virtually all mobile devices
> and it is cutting itself a corner even among laptops and desktops,
> that could eventually become something we want to do. Arguably, it is
> already.
>
> As I get it, the main idea here is that PE libraries are meant to be
> ran in the guest architecture and  ELF libraries are meant to be ran
> in the host architecture. Of course the two must speak to each other,
> and this happens through a well defined interface, where it is
> (relatively) easy to do what the two architectures require to
> understand each other (enter or leave the emulator, change processor
> mode, convert pointers, endianness, sizes, whatever). In particular,
> PE modules do not need and cannot interface directly with the
> operating system's libraries.
>
> For PE libraries that do not need to interface with host libraries,
> there is little to be done. For PE libraries that have to talk with
> the host system, they need a corresponding ELF library (which is just
> a regular host ELF library, so can link against other host libraries
> at its will). When the PE module is loaded, it calls
> __wine_init_unix_lib, which is intercepted by ntdll, which loads the
> corresponding ELF library and calls its __wine_init_unix_lib function,
> which returns a point to a structure with all the function pointers
> that the PE library might want to call. Given that ntdll mediates this
> exchange, it will be able to do whatever thunking is required to make
> the interface between the two worlds work.
>
> I've heard of a syscall-like mechanism, but I am not sure it is
> relevant here.

My impression is that there the __wine_init_unix_lib interface is a just
an in-between step from the old host-format dlls to the
__wine_unix_call-using unix-split dlls.  Routing the unix library entry
points through syscalls (well, just __wine_unix_call) will make it so
that at some point all calls to unix code from PE will be through the
syscall enter/exit interface, and we can just add the thunking code
there.  Looking at the current code, it seems that ntdll will mandate
unix libraries carry a second function pointer table
(__wine_unix_call_wow64_funcs) to expose to wow64 apps, and these should
be what handle 32/64 bit differences in memory layout.  (So all the
conversion here will have to be done explicitly, unlike the approach
taken in Crossover that Ken described on here a few years ago).

I'm less sure on this, but I think the reason there are two different
steps for converting DLLs is that since __wine_init_unix_lib interface
merely exposes function pointers to the unix library entry points as-is
to the PE, you don't have to worry about calling into PE code from the
unix library yet, which may ease the transition.