PE Conversion

François Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Aug 23 12:36:18 CDT 2021

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021, Zebediah Figura (she/her) wrote:
[...]
> * capi2032 and ctapi32 are weird cases of third-party DLLs that were (at the
> time) considered too hard to get working properly, essentially because they
> need to interact with the hardware at too low a level.
[...]
> I'm not sure about capi2032 yet; I didn't get far enough into research
> to tell whether it's possible to use the native version.

Fedora 31+, openSUSE Tumbleweed, openSUSE 15.3 and RHEL 8 have all
dropped libcapi20. It's also not available on Arch.

Given that this library is used to access ISDN phone lines [1] which
have been obsoleted by ADSL which is now being obsoleted by fiber I
would not be surprised if that trend continues.

Furthermore the isdn4linux kernel drivers have been superseded by misdn
drivers and it is not clear to me if those are meant to be accessed
through libcapi20.

So all in all it may make more sense to just drop this dll... unless
some Windows applications that don't really care about ISDN phone lines
still need it (then maybe keeping a stub would be more appropriate).

[1] https://www.isdn4linux.de/faq/i4lfaq-1.html#ss1.1

--
François Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>