RFC: Reparse Point/NT Symlink Support [3]

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Tue Aug 31 06:16:49 CDT 2021

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> I would first question the assumption that these have to be actual,
> resolvable symlinks. What if they weren't?

I guess one drawback is interoperability with cases where you run commands
in a mixed wine/native environment, i.e. mostly operate directly on the
filesystem with native tools, but run some subcommands that are use wine
for executing foreign binaries. (I e.g. have setups for using MSVC in this
fashion.)

I don't have a concrete case where such tools would need to create
symlinks though, just raising it as a potential use case.

(With the current patchset, with the extra bits encoded in the symlink
path, they do look quite weird, but if they resolve and work as regular
symlinks, that's always a plus.)

// Martin