Wayland driver development - December 2021 update and next steps

Paul Gofman pgofman at codeweavers.com
Fri Dec 10 12:44:23 CST 2021

Hi Alexandros,

On 12/10/21 20:56, Alexandros Frantzis wrote:
> In the mailing list discussions earlier this year it was recommended
> that we go through wine-staging as a stepping stone towards upstream.

Do you recall which part of the prior discussion made such an
impression? Staging used to be a testing ground for some patches, yes,
but as far as I know no patchset was ever easier to get accepted
upstream because of its presence in Staging. Nor that ever was a
requirement for any patches to get upstream. So in this regard it would
be probably more interesting to get some opinion if the direction the
things are being implemented now is acceptable for upstream and Staging
probably can't help with that.

I am not talking for the primary Staging maintainers now and they may
decide differently, but I personally doubt having it Staging is
feasible. It is a huge thing (I doubt there is a precedent of similarly
sized and scoped patchset in Staging) and I doubt any of Staging
maintainers is ready to routinely rebase it. Additionally, Wine is
currently in process of huge display driver interfacing redesign, which
means the patchset will be disabled most of the time.

On a separate note it is not obvious how the presence of the driver in
Staging is universally useful. It can't yet be enabled by default
apparently. So probably it will be still tested only by people who want
to do it specifically but then they already can do that easily by
dropping in the external driver.