Wayland driver development - December 2021 update and next steps

Paul Gofman pgofman at codeweavers.com
Fri Dec 10 14:30:38 CST 2021

On 12/10/21 23:05, Alexandros Frantzis wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 09:44:23PM +0300, Paul Gofman wrote:
>> Hi Alexandros,
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
>
>> On 12/10/21 20:56, Alexandros Frantzis wrote:
>>> In the mailing list discussions earlier this year it was recommended
>>> that we go through wine-staging as a stepping stone towards upstream.
>> Do you recall which part of the prior discussion made such an impression?
>> Staging used to be a testing ground for some patches, yes, but as far as I
>> know no patchset was ever easier to get accepted upstream because of its
>> presence in Staging. Nor that ever was a requirement for any patches to get
>> upstream. So in this regard it would be probably more interesting to get
>> some opinion if the direction the things are being implemented now is
>> acceptable for upstream and Staging probably can't help with that.
> My understanding was based on a discussion earlier the year, see for
> example the thread at:
>
> https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2021-February/181667.html
>
> Of course, the circumstances have changed since then, and it could be
> the case that going through wine-staging is not the most productive way
> forward anymore.

Yeah, I see... I don't think anything changed. I think it would be best
if Zebediah would comment directly but I suppose the meaning of her
older comment is that she's not against seeing it in Staging if there is
a clear understanding that something along the lines of present
implementation can go upstream. Maybe it might be a good way for some
riksy patches to get some prior testing before the patches get finalized
and go upstream but (correct me please if I am wrong) I don't think
upstream maintainers recommended patches to go to Staging first or
otherwise indicated that it is a shorter or preferred way for patches to
go upstream.