Converting Paths from within Windows processes on top of Wine

Sebastian M. Ernst ernst at pleiszenburg.de
Mon Jan 18 07:57:55 CST 2021

@Alexandre

> If possible, I'd recommend using wine_get_unix_file_name() and
> wine_get_dos_file_name() from kernel32, the NT ones are considered more
> internal. The kernel32 ones should be more stable across versions.

Thanks a lot, good to know. The signatures of those functions have not
been changed for at least 12 years.

Potentially stupid question: Why are Wine's "Windows" paths using
unicode (wchar) while the unix counterparts are not (char)? It's the
same both in the kernel32 and NT APIs.

@Fabian

> Can't you use "winepath" for the conversion?

I can, but this can be agonizingly slow - compared to a direct call to
the above mentioned APIs. Starting a complete new (sub-) process seems a
bit of an overkill for this kind of task.

Sebastian