RFC: Bugzilla keyword definitions

Paul Gofman pgofman at codeweavers.com
Mon Jul 19 08:08:36 CDT 2021

On 7/19/21 15:30, Francois Gouget wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2021, Francois Gouget wrote:
> [...]
>> * patch
>>   | Bugs in this keyword contain a patch that are waiting for approval.
>>
>>   What is a 'patch that is waiting for approval'?
>>   Is it a patch which is referenced in https://source.winehq.org/patches/ ?
>>   What happens if the patch is rejected? (or drops off the list)
>>   Should the patch keyword be removed?
>>   What if the patch is in wine-staging?

I think the description does not match how this de facto used. AFAIK The
keyword 'patch' used to be set now if the bug have just any patch
attached which is supposed to be fixing the issue described in the bug
report. This patch is not necessarily waiting for approval or is an
upstream candidate at all.

If there is a related patch in Wine-staging there is currently 'Staged'
status for that, so it looks like pretty much independent from the
'patch' keyword.

> Another question: should the patch be attached to the bug or is it
> sufficient to provide a link to a mailing list post?
>
> I'm leaning towards the former in which case the definition could be
> amended as such:
>   | Bugs with this keyword contain an attachment with a proposed fix.
>   | The fix may be incomplete, break other applications or be otherwise
>   | unacceptable as long as it does fix the symptoms described in the
>   | bug and is not a pure workaround (such as altering Wine's behavior
>   | based on the executable filename, replacing an implemented function
>   | with a stub, etc.).

If to choose one, I also think the former is a better option as quite
often just a proof of concept hacky patch may be provided for
illustration purposes which might have nothing in common to what makes
sense to send upstream, or it is not going to be accepted upstream
(unless the usage rules for 'patch' keyword are changed). I don't see
why it can't also be a link to a mailing list if there is a patch sent,
should it just one option to be left?