running as root broken in 6.10

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 06:35:22 CDT 2021

> Am 28.06.2021 um 22:38 schrieb Peter Dons Tychsen <donpedro.list at gmail.com>:
>
> HI Gabriel,
>
> Well, 6.11 made a difference, but now the bug is just slightly different.
>
> The crash is gone, but now it just hangs in the same place with:
>
> 00d4:err:sync:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 000000007BC65540
> "dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 00d4,
> blocked by 00ac, retrying (60 sec)

Just for clarification: Does the same Wine version work when you run it as a normal user? What happens if you create a fresh user account?

My best guess is that some settings are different for your root user than other users, e.g. some security stuff, ASLR, whatnotall.

What you can also do is run wine in gdb to see if there are any exceptions happening. WINEDEBUG=+seh might also show some information, but I found early startup debugging to be unreliable.