AppDB: Bug #49999 - It should be possible to submit results for all versions of the current stable branch

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 4 16:10:42 CDT 2021

On Thu, 4 Nov 2021 20:57:18 +0100
Joerg Schiermeier <news at Schiermeier-IT.de> wrote:

> Therefore the AppDB list should include the "outdated" minor releases
> of the current stable branch for selection aswell. This is currently
> not the case (only 5.0.2 is available for selection currently).

The AppDB reads the list of Wine versions directly from Bugzilla, which does not distinguish branches; it is simply a list of numbers, in order of release. After Wine 1.0 came out, the AppDB code was changed to keep all the stable releases available for selection in a separate list, while still getting the development releases from Bugzilla. Since doing that required someone to actively send patches to manually add each stable release to the stable list, that worked out about as well as you might expect. One of the changes I made to the AppDB a few years ago was to get rid of the separate list, but expand the the number of releases available for selection from six to ten. With stable updates on roughly a three month cycle, that has meant the latest stable release is always available for selection, without any manual intervention.

Expanding the number of versions available for selection is the easiest way to keep all the current stable updates available, but that list will then also include all the development releases in the same range, leading to a very long dropdown list. Maintaining a separate list of stable releases would require more extensive changes to the code, and if it does not include some mechanism to automatically fetch the stable versions from Bugzilla, will probably fail for the same reason the last attempt did.

--
Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>