can we exclude builtin->CRT calls from relay logs?

Esme Povirk (she/they) esme at codeweavers.com
Fri Nov 5 13:09:11 CDT 2021

An unfortunate effect of the PE conversion is that relay logs contain
much more noise, as every call from a builtin dll into the CRT is now
included in relay logs. I tend to either delete those lines using a
regex search in vim, or add ucrtbase.* to RelayExclude.

I don't think we want to make ucrtbase.* a default RelayExclude, as it
would exclude calls from applications too, but maybe I'm wrong about
that.

A possible alternative would be to add an option which excludes the
calls only if they come from a builtin dll. We could then add
ucrtbase.* to this by default. Maybe call it RelayFromBuiltinExclude.

Does this seem like a good idea? Does anyone have other thoughts?

If there were a way to apply this to libmono as well, that'd be
useful, as it has a similar issue, but I can't think of a simple
design that would make that work.