GCC 11

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at orange.fr
Wed Sep 29 09:42:52 CDT 2021

Le 29/09/2021 à 13:41, Sveinar Søpler a écrit :
> The logfile from the WineHQ Ubuntu 21.04 build on OBS is here:
> https://build.opensuse.org/build/Emulators:Wine:Debian/xUbuntu_21.04/x86_64/wine-devel/_log
>
> I could not immediately find warnings about what you are talking about
> here, but there sure is enough warnings about "format argument"
> (-Wformat and -Wstrict-aliasing) stuff, that i don't get when i
> compile wine myself locally. Might not be related to what you ask
> here, but since you were talking about "gcc 11 becomes mainstream", i
> thought it was worth to point to the official OBS buildlog for Ubuntu
> 21.04 - that uses gcc-11 (although gcc-mingw-w64 is still at 10.3).
>
> I guess debian/ubuntu "debuild" system sets these -Wformat= and
> -Wstrict-aliasing options when building as default, and that seem to
> throw a lot of warnings. I did not browse through the entire log, but
> maybe it is just some overly eager checks that some distro's enable by
> default, that it is not really critical?
>
> Do you have a "sample warning" for me to search for? Eg.
> dlls/ncrypt/main.c:106:11: warning: format '%lx' expects argument of type 'long unsigned int', but argument 5 has type 'NCRYPT_PROV_HANDLE' {aka 'long long unsigned int'} [-Wformat=]

to correct myself:

- I thought the trigger was "simply" the upgrade to GCC version 11...
after some quick search, Fedora claims moving from 11.0 (F34) to 11.2
(F35), but looks like F34 is pushing gcc 11.2 in updates since July...
so the root cause of those new warnings need to be clarified

- the warnings I'm seeing are triggered by -Wmisleading-indentation,
-Warray-bounds, -Wsizeof-array-div, -Wmaybe-uninitialized, which are all
active when -Wall is used

it's strange from the log link above that non of the options work with
the cross compiler

[  569s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -target
x86_64-w64-mingw32 -fuse-ld=lld... no
[  569s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports
-fno-strict-aliasing... no
[  569s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports
-Werror=unknown-warning-option... no
[  569s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports
-Werror=ignored-optimization-argument... no
[  569s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports
-Wdeclaration-after-statement... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -Wempty-body... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports
-Wignored-qualifiers... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -Winit-self... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports
-Wpacked-not-aligned... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -Wpragma-pack... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports
-Wshift-overflow=2... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports
-Wstrict-prototypes... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -Wtype-limits... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports
-Wunused-but-set-parameter... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -Wvla... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -Wwrite-strings... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -Wpointer-arith... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -Wlogical-op... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -Wabsolute-value... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -Wno-format... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports
-Wformat-overflow... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -Wnonnull... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -mcx16... no
[  570s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -gdwarf-2... no
[  571s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports -gstrict-dwarf... no
[  571s] checking whether the cross-compiler supports
-fexcess-precision=standard... no
I'd expect that a couple of them are supported