Arbitrary DOS device name

Zebediah Figura zfigura at codeweavers.com
Tue Feb 1 11:47:36 CST 2022

On 2/1/22 11:39, danman at danman.eu wrote:
> On 2022-02-01 18:14, Zebediah Figura (she/her) wrote:
>>
>> That's because "wine" is symlinked to 32-bit wine, which redirects
>> system32 to syswow64. "wine64" will work.
>
> The result is the same with wine64
>
> $ wine64 ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/dpinst64.exe
> 0009:err:module:__wine_process_init
> L"C:\\windows\\system32\\dpinst64.exe" not found
>

>> Note though that dpinst needs to be called with specific arguments,
>> which is part of the reason I asked to rerun the installer.
>
> I rerun the installer but nothing has changed.
>

>> One other thing I forgot to mention—you'll need to override
>> dpinst64.exe as "builtin,native", since the default for the main EXE
>> is native,builtin when loaded with an exact path.
>
> How do I do this?

Generally, open winecfg, and in the "Libraries" tab type in
"dpinst64.exe", then set the override to "builtin,native".

You can also use the environment variable
"WINEDLLOVERRIDES=dpinst64.exe=b,n".

> And more generally, how do I correctly install the
> compiled binary?
> I just copied the exe to system32 as you can see above but I cannot run
> make install because I am using wine from distribution install (apt
> get).

Okay, my guess is that you're trying to use the system wine executable
instead of wine from the build tree, and that wine is trying to look for
builtin dpinst64.exe in /usr/lib/ as a result.

Note that to manually ensure things are installed into a prefix, you can
usually use "wine wineboot -u".